Bluewater Restoration™ is ready and available 24/7/365 days a year.
IMMEDIATE RESPONSE HOTLINE: 252-491-2500 or Toll Free 855-OBX-9111
Stormy Weather Alert:
Five Tips on Handling Insurance
The Outer Banks of North Carolina has seen its share of natural disasters. Take the story of the unlucky homeowner who was having dinner on the 2nd floor of his vacation home in Duck the evening tornadoes ripped through the region in April 2011.
Upon arrival, homeowner John P. told our Emergency Response Team that he had just made dinner and was settling down to watch the game and never looked out the window. His dinner was untouched–still sitting on the dining room table when we arrived— but his house was in shambles. Being that his rental home was booked solid through the summer after this week, he had no time to spare. The damages were severe for the entire block of homes in Duck, NC.
Would you know what to do when faced with a sudden situation like John’s? His property management knew who to call first: Bluewater Restoration™ because we know how to get this done fast and right. We specialize in providing a positive claims experience and make it as smooth as possible for all parties involved. Furthermore, we know what you go through. We have firsthand experience having lost our home to a fire and we understand the need for quick turn around on your home or your rental home.
Handling insurance claims can be daunting at best. Please refer to your individual policy for any specific policy or procedures from your insurance company, but here are a few tips:
1. Call your insurance company and file a claim if necessary. Please consider your deductible amount before calling in a claim, especially if it’s a “named storm” which could potentially increase your deductible to 1% of the home’s value. In other words, if you have minor damage, you may not want to file a claim at all. Ask them if there are any time frames your policy may have in reporting claims, so do not delay. Be sure to have all policy numbers and good description of the incident for this initial contact. This process will cover the details of the loss including the damage, the event, and the causation.
2. Have the damages digitally documented. You can do this if you are there, but if you are not or unable, Bluewater Restoration™ will do this for you. Our team is professionally trained in photo inventory documentation which is just another free service we provide. Before you begin cleanup, and before there is even a claim, a digital record of the damages is critical to your successful claim resolution.
3. Start Emergency services so your home is safe and to stop any additional collateral damages which will not be covered! This includes emergency board ups, water extraction, water damage remediation, and structural drying. These are all services we provide and require no additional out of pocket expenses to get them done! BWR will not start rebuilding until we are in agreement with your adjuster on the scope of work.
4. If you cannot stay in your home and have to vacate, save all receipts. Check with your agent to see if your policy will cover you for out of pocket living expenses or ALE (Additional Living Expenses). Save hotel and restaurant receipts – and discuss with your agent how to submit them for reimbursement.
5. Be available to all parties involved. Be ready and reachable to talk with your claims adjuster and restoration contractor after you file a claim. Bluewater Restoration™ can be there for you in most cases within an hour or two. The sooner we arrive the less the cost of the claim thus we create a win-win-win for all parties!
Please visit our website bluewaterrestoration.com for a complete copy of our money saving tips and suggestions when dealing in emergency property repairs. Put our number in your contacts now 252-491-2500 for 24hr emergency response to your home.